Child and Family Conduct Agreements
The Code of Conduct Agreements for children and families support our mission statement. By joining our Wild Child community, we ask that you reflect upon and agree to these guidelines. They are designed intentionally to help create an inclusive, safe space for all kids, families and mentors.
PLEASE NOTE: Warnings and strikes are applicable to parents as well as children and may result in exclusion from program activities. Please refer to Program Policies for more information about strikes and warnings. For conflicts that involve adults communication should take place directly between parties involved, for additional support we can refer you to external resources. We are committed to creating an inclusive and supportive community that values learning and personal growth for all involved. If you have a concern or a question about this policy please contact Joyce Grimm, Program Director.
Child Code of Conduct
Wild Child Freeschool is dedicated to creating a safe, caring, adventuresome environment. We wish to respect and protect our participants and nature. Each student and parent has an opportunity to attend the program, but no participant has the right to interfere with another's enjoyment of the program.
Please read/sign the following with your child prior to the first day of the program. See Release and Consent Forms.
By signing below, I agree to:
- Stay with the group and adult Guide(s) at all times.
- Listen carefully and follow all safety rules.
- Respect all students and Guide(s). I will avoid using put-downs, name calling, or hurting other people's feelings.
- Come with an open learning attitude and keep track of my necessary daily gear.
- Leave No Trace. I will carry out my trash and endeavor to better the areas I visit.
- Respect plants and animals we investigate and preserve them for another to discover.
- Respect others' belongings. I will avoid touching other's hats, clothing, lunches, and personal belongings.
- Find a way to peacefully talk out any disagreements.
- Leave all electrical devices at home.
- Stay home when ill.
Family Code of Conduct
Wild Child Freeschool is an open and inclusive community for kids, mentors and families who want to enjoy nature while forming deep friendships. Wild Child was created as a safe space for all families, including families who may have felt excluded from other educational opportunities because of “outside of the box” behaviors, such as high intelligence, intense energy, asynchronisity, or challenging of authority figures. Veteran and new families alike are equally important in the fabric of our community, as is supporting the guides who provide mentorship and leadership in connecting with wild places. Our primary goals are to help children develop empathy skills, personal responsibility and a connection with nature.
- We are committed to a community where every voice is heard and a safe space is held for people to express different feelings and beliefs
- We agree to respect other family’s values, traditions and parenting styles
- We will encourage our children to communicate their needs and feelings to guides, even if they are upset
- We agree to participate in proactive conflict resolution to assure safety of all community members. This may include conversations at the end of program days, meeting outside of class to form behavior contracts and checking in with guides on specific behaviors that impact emotional or physical safety.
- We will treat each other with respect and care when talking about our community and it’s members
- We recognize that there may be differences in opinion within our community, and that everybody has an equal right to participate in the program.